Last updated: 4/11/18
Joseph Finn, Commissioner
We, the Boston Fire Department, are an organization of dedicated professionals who are committed to serving the community by protecting life, property, and the environment through prevention, education, emergency medical, civil defense and fire service. We will provide fire protection and emergency service throughout the City of Boston by adequately staffing, training, and equipping firefighters at specific locations within the city.
FY19 Major Initiatives
- The department will purchase three new Ladder trucks and three new Engine trucks as part of a multi-year fire apparatus replacement plan.
- Construction for a new fire station replacing Engine 42 in Egleston Square will begin.
- Design for a new fire station replacing Engine 17 in Dorchester will continue.
- As part of a new technology collaboration with DoIT, the Fire Department will install fuel monitoring technology at 26 sites, providing enhanced fuel management capacity and greater insight into vehicle utilization.
- HVAC and lighting upgrades will continue at various fire stations, to improve energy efficiency and take advantage of utility rebates.
Fire Department - Active Projects
|Energy & Environment||HVAC / Boiler Replacement at Various Stations||Various neighborhoods||Annual Program||300,000||3,507,939|
|Government Effectiveness||Building Envelope Repairs at Various Stations||Citywide||In Design||150,000||2,017,500|
|Public Safety||Engine 17||Dorchester||To Be Scheduled||1,250,000||24,700,000|
|Public Safety||Engine 33||Back Bay||To Be Scheduled||0||800,000|
|Public Safety||Engine 42||Roxbury||In Design||4,454,624||23,560,000|
|Public Safety||Engine 5||East Boston||In Construction||852,524||2,175,000|
|Public Safety||Engine 50||Charlestown||In Construction||2,000,000||3,810,000|
|Public Safety||Fire Equipment FY19||Citywide||Annual Program||4,950,000||4,950,000|
|Public Safety||Fire Equipment FY20-FY23||Citywide||Annual Program||0||11,731,000|
|Public Safety||Roof and Masonry Repairs at Engine 4, 14 and 55||Various neighborhoods||In Construction||710,000||1,600,000|